I have been living in the Netherlands for quite a while. I have seen, heard and done a lot of things and I want to put them down in writing for myself and share them.

After mulling about this idea and retaining topics to write in my head (yes, the most spacious hard disk and the best hard disk ever, provided you're not forgetful), finally this blog comes to life on 21st of January 2010 at 15.13 local time.

Friday, August 20, 2010

(Not) Getting a US Visa: What an Ordeal

Being an Indonesian when it comes to applying for a US Visa sucks.
- you fill the application form, you call to make an appointment (and this call is not free of charge and I'm not talking about the cost you pay to the phone company)
- you put effort gathering a lot of supporting documents (more time and expenses)
- you get your photo taken (they have a very specific photo rule that not any photo shop in town can do so that you have no choice but to pay more at a photo shop that can)
- you pay the (high) non-refundable fee
- you go to the consulate at the appointed date and time (going there also costs money - and time)
- after you pass the security checks, you wait for your name to be called (sometimes you have to wait way pass the original appointment time before they call your name)
- you get (a 5-minutes) interview in which they ask you questions but don't even bother to look at the supporting documents you have gathered
- then the officer tells you that he can not grant you the visa for some sad excuse ("I recommend you to get a status in the NL", that's what the officer said)
- you try to reason with him but he just dismiss you

I am upset because:
- I have a status in the NL. I've lived here since 2006 for god's sake. And I brought papers to prove that I am registered here and I can pay for the vacation but he did not even look at the supporting documents I brought
- Again I was treated like a 3rd class person

"Once an application has been refused, the decision is not appealable. Applying for a non-immigrant visa is not primarily a document-based process. The main issue in determining if an applicant qualifies for a visa is intent, and documents alone cannot establish intentions."
No, I don't intend to go to the US and then just disappear there and become an illegal migrant. My intention is to have a vacation there and then return to the NL.
And I do have a status here. I am a residence of the NL - Do you think I reside here illegally? I have a residence permit. Besides, do you think I would apply for a US visa if I were residing here illegally? I have university degrees so I am not that stupid.

I think what upset me is the combination of the officer not bothering to even look at the documents I brought and him telling me to get a status in the NL. That really made me feel like he saw me as a 3rd class person (or maybe even lower?). That was so degrading.

What an ordeal. What a waste of time and money.
Chin up... there are other (more) beautiful and nice(r) countries to visit.

1 comment:

  1. Dah, ganti paspor aja. Paspor Indo ke UK & USA emang repot boo...

    ReplyDelete