I have been living in the Netherlands for quite a while. I have seen, heard and done a lot of things and I want to put them down in writing for myself and share them.

After mulling about this idea and retaining topics to write in my head (yes, the most spacious hard disk and the best hard disk ever, provided you're not forgetful), finally this blog comes to life on 21st of January 2010 at 15.13 local time.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gouda Cheese Market


It was not planned but when I woke up this morning, the sky looked promising that I decided to go to Gouda. My reasons were (a) I was just bored and wanted to go somewhere and (b) there was a cheese market in Gouda today. So my destination was decided. I had only 15 minutes to get ready and go to the train station in order not to miss the 8.45 train. This train would get me in Gouda just 9 minutes before the start of the cheese market.
It was not big - 2 rows of cheese and two or three horse carriage with a few kaasmeisjes (literally means cheese girls) and kaasjongens (literally means cheese boys) and a few adults who ran the show. Nevertheless it was a show on its own.
My first cheese market in the Netherlands.
Other than in Gouda, there is also a cheese market in Alkmaar, Edam and Hoorn.
Next cheese market: Alkmaar.

Info: Gouda cheese market is held on every Thursday from 10.00 am until 12.00 pm from mid/end June until end August at the Markt.

No comments:

Post a Comment