I have been living in the Netherlands for quite a while. I have seen, heard and done a lot of things and I want to put them down in writing for myself and share them.

After mulling about this idea and retaining topics to write in my head (yes, the most spacious hard disk and the best hard disk ever, provided you're not forgetful), finally this blog comes to life on 21st of January 2010 at 15.13 local time.

Monday, July 19, 2010

The Netherlands and The Weather

Why do the Netherlands like to talk about the weather?
I never really thought about this until one day an educated Dutch told me why. This educated Dutch was (and still is, I guess) a professor of a Hogeschool (and no, hogeschool does not mean highschool). He told me that it is most likely because the weather is the only thing that a Dutch can not control nor plan.
The book Doe Maar Gewoon by Hans Kaldenbach also says similar thing. It says:
"In hun wereld waarin alles geordend is, blijft alleen het weer onvoorspelbaar" - meaning "In their world where everything is in order, only the weather remains unpredictable" ('their world' mean the Dutch world).

But however often they complain about the weather, not many Dutch would want to move to a place with a different climate.

My friend A for example. He complained about the cold during this winter but still he would not want to move to Indonesia where it is warmer. And now he 'complains' about how hot it is but still he would want to move to Iceland or Norway or anywhere else that is cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment