I have been living in the Netherlands for quite a while. I have seen, heard and done a lot of things and I want to put them down in writing for myself and share them.

After mulling about this idea and retaining topics to write in my head (yes, the most spacious hard disk and the best hard disk ever, provided you're not forgetful), finally this blog comes to life on 21st of January 2010 at 15.13 local time.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Verliefd

I just got back from two amazing places: Rovaniemi and Reykjavik.

Rovaniemi was amazing in the winter. The temperature ranged from -16 to -30 centigrade when I was there. I had to wear a couple layers of clothes and even a balaclava to keep my nose from getting blocked. Almost everyday I had frozen water vapor on my eyelashes. Everything was white from the snow.
Amazing things I did in Rovaniemi: reindeer safari, husky safari, snowmobile safari and hiking in the snow to a look-out tower.
Every activity was worth the trouble. Every activity left me with a sense of serenity, magic, peace and space. And freedom.
Imagine seeing snow-covered trees from the top of a look-out point. Everything was white as far as your eyes could see.

A few photo's of Rovaniemi and the surroundings:



Iceland was also amazing. I knew I would love Reykjavik even before I set foot there and I was correct. I am charmed by Reykjavik. I am charmed by what I saw in Iceland.
Iceland is really a land of contradiction. I stayed in Reykjavik but had the good fortune of visiting places outside Reykjavik: the golden circle and Reykjanes peninsula.
The route to the golden circle took me to the snowy and cold part of Iceland via snow-covered mountains.
The route along Reykjanes peninsula took me through the rocky part of Iceland.
Just like Rovaniemi, my visit to these places left me with a sense of magic and peace. It also left me with a sense of awe. When I saw the mountains, the water from the cliffs... I could feel the power of nature and I felt so small. Something inside me said, here is the place I could and would love to live in. I could get in my car and just drive around Iceland, get lost in its impressive nature.

I fell in love with what I saw in Iceland.
I'm in love. And I would not mind moving there. Not at all.

1 comment:

  1. good pictures! You know the beach Sirituba, is in the Amazon, Brazil. http://luciebruno.blogspot.com/2011/02/passeio-praia-de-sirituba.html
    Congratulations on your blog!

    ReplyDelete