I have been living in the Netherlands for quite a while. I have seen, heard and done a lot of things and I want to put them down in writing for myself and share them.

After mulling about this idea and retaining topics to write in my head (yes, the most spacious hard disk and the best hard disk ever, provided you're not forgetful), finally this blog comes to life on 21st of January 2010 at 15.13 local time.

Friday, January 22, 2010

The dutch and their elderly...

In the Netherlands it is very common for elderly people to live independently of their children.

This is a clip about the dutch and their elderly.

This clip is meant to be a humorous portrait of how one pays a visit to his elderly. There is some truth to this clip. At least two people I know do exactly that when they visit their parents - read the newspaper or use the mobile phone. But in this case the parents do not always just sit and do the crossword. And then in the end of the visit everyone will act like it was gezellig/leuk (a pleasure/fun).
The first time I witnessed this I thought that they were being impolite to their parents and I felt so bad for the parents. We come there and the parents give us drink, cakes and dinner/lunch and all we do is just read the newspaper. That does not feel right. But then again this is the phenomenon that occurs more and more often nowadays in many parts of the world.

Created at 22.43 local time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Syl, I luv the way u telling about the NL's live. Please go with it! I'll be the number ONE posting the comment! I can see u enjoy the culture...LOL!

    ReplyDelete